If you are interested in a career in the fire service, the Fire Science Technology Program will prepare you for the challenges facing today's emergency responders. In the program you will learn the skills of fire suppression and prevention, technical rescue, hazardous materials, emergency medical care, and leadership. This program is beneficial whether you are seeking a career in emergency services (Fire, Rescue, EMS or Emergency Management) or if you are already providing fire, rescue or EMS services in your community.
Students may enter the program with or without experience in emergency services. The degree, certificate, and diploma programs that are offered can help you in obtaining employment in various emergency service fields, or if you are already a firefighter, help you get that promotion you have been waiting for. Classes are offered through State Fire/Rescue Training and may be offered in various formats such as: web courses, hybrid courses, and traditional classroom offerings. For more information regarding this program, contact your local State Fire-Rescue Training Area Office.
The Fire Rescue Science graduate will possess the knowledge and skills to:
· Meet or exceed NFPA Firefighter I and II standards as well as meeting or exceeding all Kentucky Fire Commission training requirements at the career level.
· Provide emergency medical services, meeting the requirements to test for certification with the Kentucky Board of EMS as an EMT.
· Respond to hazardous materials incidents, meeting OSHA 1910.120 and NFPA 472 at the Technician Level.
· Meet the technical rescue objectives as provided for in NFPA 1670, Standard for Technical Search and Rescue. (This includes vehicle extrication and confined space entry and rescue).
· Be a capable leader, having a basic understanding of company officer leadership including the Incident Command System (ICS).
The general education courses provided through KCTCS provided the well-rounded education needed for the responder and leader of today and tomorrow.
Copyright © 2022 SFRTArea2 - All Rights Reserved.